Menaul School has a rich and relevant history that dates back to the late 19th century.

What started out as a Presbyterian boarding school for Spanish speaking boys has evolved into a co-educational boarding and day school with students and graduates from all across the world.

In exploring Menaul’s history, it is apparent that it ties closely with the history of Northern New Mexico itself. For more information than what is presented below, please contact the Menaul Historical Library 500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

Harper Donaldson, former school superintendent (1916-1953) standing in front of Donaldson Hall, dedicated to his service to Menaul School.

According to 1904 records of the Home Missions of the Presbyterian Church, as well as a paper published in the Journal of Presbyterian History, it is our understanding that Reverend Sheldon Jackson, a Presbyterian minister, opened the Pueblo Training School (PTS) in Albuquerque, NM under a contract with the U.S. government. The PTS was originally located in the Duranes area, at what is now the junction of Rio Grande Boulevard and Indian School Road, just north of Old Town in Albuquerque. In 1882, a group of citizens of Albuquerque purchased 66.67 acres of land and donated it to the U.S. government “for an industrial boarding school for the Pueblo Indians”, this being the property at what is now Indian School Road and 12th Street.
500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.


The Presbyterian Church issued an apology for schools of these kinds. They are now focused on listening to stories from people affected by these schools.

We encourage you to explore the following resources, as well as share your own with the historic library at (505) 343-7480
Source, Source, Source, Source

Purchased by Reverend James Menaul using funds obtained by the Presbyterian General Assembly, the campus was intended as a Boarding School for Spanish speaking boys. On January 1st, 1896, the school opened with a core of elementary school boarding students of all ages from the Presbyterian Boarding School in Las Vegas, NM.


Menaul School graduated its first class, from 11th grade.

The students pictured in the photo are (bottom row, left to right) James Gonzoles, Timoto Romero, Cosme Garcia, Av. Lucero (top row, left to right) Charles Cordova, Clifford Perea.

Harper C. Donaldson (left) became superintendent. He stayed in this position until 1953. During his 37-year tenure at Menaul School, many young men and women were beneficiaries of an academic, spiritual, and sportsmanship education that led many alumni to illustrious careers in Law, Medicine, the Arts, Science, Government, the Ministry, and entrepreneurship.

The Panther is first used for the athletic logo, and remains the school mascot to this day.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is panther-mascot-edit.jpg

Menaul School graduated its first co-educational class when girls from Allison James School in Santa Fe, NM, grades 10-12, came to Menaul.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is First-class-of-girls-1.jpg

Menaul had its first Homecoming celebration and festivities. The first person to hold the title of homecoming queen was Regina “Sandy” Sandoval (pictured).

Menaul School campus was conveyed from the Presbyterian Board of National Missions to an elected Board of Trustees. The first president of the Board is Izar Martinez (pictured).

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Izar-Martinez-1-1024x773.jpg

Longtime football coach, Dave Tomlinson (pictured), was named “Coach of the Year” after the team finishes with an undefeated season.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is Dave-Tomlinson-795x1024.jpg

Lindsey Gilbert is named ‘Head of School’ and currently remains in this position.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 11-640x400.jpg

Menaul School reopens its Boarding Program after a ten year hiatus. Boarding students are primarily international students, and this helps to sustain Menaul as an internationally focused school.

This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is 2010photo-1024x683.jpg

All information acquired from the Menaul Historical Library. For more information, please call (505) 343-7480.